🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Should I Take AP Biology?

Started by
2 comments, last by SiCrane 8 years, 5 months ago

Hey,

So my high school is offering AP biology. I'm all honors, so I'll have to take honors chemistry next year (A lot of math). I already have AP Computer Science Principles and AP World History lined up, so throwing on two more APs in high school doesn't seem too wise. Is biology something colleges look at? I'm interested in become perhaps a software engineer or perhaps a software architect.

AP is advanced placement. They're basically classes that count in college, meaning you don't have to take them again in college.

I'm interested in tech colleges, by the way. I'm not going to some medical school with obscure tech programs.

Thanks biggrin.png

What will you make?
Advertisement

I have no idea what an AP is, but I'll give the same advice I always give to this question.

You're not an entrance qualification, and you will not be a career when you're done your education. Study what interests you. If you have no interest, make your studies wide until you've found your interest. If you've already found your interest, make your studies wide in case you lose your interest.

Post-secondary education institutes often look at your overall average, as well as other factors such as work load and extracurriculars. If you can pull off all those honours courses, it will prove you can handle an engineering workload post-secondary.

I never studied biology in high school and I managed to get an education and a job. Funny thing was, the only prereq for both first year biology and first year chemistry was senior-year (grade 13!) high school physics.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

AP=Advanced Placement (taking a class normally offered for older students).

Like Stephen said, take it if you want. If you ever become or want to become a game designer, you will need to know some biology. If you're just interested in programming, you don't "need" biology. But biology is about life, and every living person (which is most of us) should understand everything s/he can about life.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

A lot of universities give benefits for students with more credit hours such as being able to register earlier or being able to more easily qualify for better parking permits. Usually one AP test by itself wouldn't make much of a difference for this purpose, but you're already interested in two more. So if you think you can get a four or five on the AP exam, I'd recommend taking the course even if you don't think it would apply towards your major.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement