🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question about education

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 8 years, 5 months ago
Hello,

I am about to receive a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science to give myself a broad skillset for future careers, but what I really want to do is game development. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not it would be worth my time to work at getting another degree specifically for game development in order to land a good job in the industry? I was looking into some online options for either an associate's degree or something similar.

Thank you for your time!
Advertisement
Moving to the Job Advice forum.

The short version is that if your degree and extracurricular experience are solid, you'll be adequately prepared for an entry level games programming job. More qualifications might be good to help land specialized roles, but are not essential to employment.

It's very hard to say if you're truly prepared, without giving you a full Spanish Inquisition style interview. But with a degree under your belt, the best thing you can add to your repertoire at this point in your career would be actual programming projects. The more code you can show the better.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I am still a student and untill now no luck on finding a position at game industry companies, however... I think that the work that you do on your own might be even more important than if you have or not a degree specific for game development.

Am I right? I think I am... at least for some countries they do consider work done above degree category. Feels that way...

When interviewing fresh graduates I'm looking for several things to help answer the two big questions: (1) Can they do the job well, and (2) will they fit in?

The degree helps a lot, it shows you can stick to a project that may be hard, and that you have a broad yet shallow understanding of computer science.

I look for demonstrated passion, something that shows you care about the process of making games and not just playing games. Building your own demos and tech portfolio helps with this. Sadly there are some people who think that because playing games is fun, making games should be fun, and then discover that making games is actually work! If you have built tech demos or small games on your own it shows you know what is involved and are still interested in the making process.

I look for smarts. I always ask candidates about what the do for fun outside of computer games, what books they have read recently, and some topics they have recently studied on their own. I don't really care what the items are, I want to see a well-rounded individual who is able to take a break from building games and do something completely different; somebody who has brains in their head and feet in their shoes and can apply knowledge from many areas of life.

A bachelor's degree in computer science is good. Now put together some game related projects, and start applying about 2-3 months before your graduation date.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement