🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Searching programmer for village-builder

Started by
8 comments, last by jthomas04 7 years, 3 months ago

I am a quite experienced pixel artist looking to team up with a programmer to create a unique and well-thought out village-builder.

Many previous city- and village-builders have put a lot of focus on expanding your settlement and generally gone for "more is better". Expanding is pretty much a no-brainer. We, however, would go for a design that promoted the use of strategic placing and planning - as the population of your village will generally be very small. Each and every single individual is detrimental to success, which means performing (what generally seems like) a basic task like constructing a building needs the perfect timing, as you also want your people to be harvesting resources in all kinds of manners in order to survive.

Here are some quick concepts I drew. Mostly to show off the kind of style I personally would wish to go for. These structures however are a lot simpler designed than the final product would be.

fhSeTfb.png

aBxwjlg.png

http://imgur.com/a/Jye1M

Advertisement

Hello! I am Searous. I'm a "programmer in training", meaning I'm trying to get some more experience before I start working on my own projects. I like your concept, and you've really got some talent.

I'm good enough that I could tackle your game concept, though I will need to learn a lot in order to make it happen. I know how to structure the game, so this shouldn't be detrimental to the development of the game. I would be best at the core mechanics, such as win/lose conditions, resource gather/management, and anything else that isn't AI or graphics. I can do HUD though.

My preferred development environment is Java or GameMaker.

Here is a WIP game I've been working on alone, as a way to judge my capabilities: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2gkh8j4zkr323t/AG-Test.exe?dl=0

Here is a WIP game I've been working on alone, as a way to judge my capabilities: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2gkh8j4zkr323t/AG-Test.exe?dl=0

Might want to make a youtube video and link to that instead. Not a good idea to send people exes, people can and should be concerned with the possibility of malware.

Art looks nice, wish I was allowed to work on hobby projects.

Video Game Programmer.
5 years in industry.

Thanks for the replies! I will be waiting a couple of days to see if more people are interested. Then I will pick one :)

Looks like an interesting project.

Wish I didn't have my hands full...

The game sounds and looks really nice! But from a programmer's perspective I'd wonder
- what platform are you targeting (pc? tablet? browser?)
- will it be 2d like your scribble? or what exactly is the technical demand for visualization?
- how much work will it be? (do you plan this to be a 1 Month project? 6 Months? open end?)
- what criteria is key for choosing the right programmer? (you said you will wait for more to pick one)
- do you plan to sell it? is open source ok with you?
etc.

Hey, ProfL!

1. I was mainly thinking of delivering it to PC (Steam), as I am not a frequent user of tablet games and consoles.
  2. It will most likely be isometric-inspired pixel art. Therefore it shouldn't be a large technical demand, as most of it is put on the artist.
  3. The amount of work depends on the opinion of the programmer as well. I am pretty open when it comes to the size of the project, but I would prefer if we could find a middle-ground, so the game actually ends up being released.
  4. When it comes to criteria, I am looking for a person confident and interested in the project as well as programming. The person should be able to produce a polished game in the end.
  5. I would very much prefer to sell it.

I'm currently a Math Major and a self taught programmer. I could assist you if needed. My github is listed below.

https://github.com/Glissando

I would absolutely love to join! I am very passionate of RPG's and rogue, as they have entertained me my whole childhood. I have :

-More than 700 hours of experience in Game Maker Studio(I have mastered the program and the language)

-The experience to make a simple game in 8 hours

-Experience with the phaser.io HTML5 library, though I do need more time to get the job done with it.

Please contact me :D

at : rafphd@yahoo.ca

Hello coder skilled in c/c++, java, python & web technologies like HTML5 & js, Your Projects seems intereting & i would like to help you out,,, Can you give more info?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement