🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Programming portfolio and resume feedback

Started by
18 comments, last by Amperian 5 years, 9 months ago
1 hour ago, NikiTo said:

Plus, i have been told that recruiters never read the code.

I do read them if it's available :). I'm not a recruiters, but I do interview occasionally.  Github projects at least make me know a little bit of the background the candidate may have. It's not a decisive evidence of course, but it's a good discussion starter. 

http://9tawan.net/en/

Advertisement
49 minutes ago, GWDev said:

This doen't have to be source code

I have only video demos in YT. The demos are good enough as to prove i can xyz.

I try to make even my videos as short as possible. Or at least put the WOW part in the very beginning of the video. When i imagine a recruiter reading my application i imagine somebody very lazy who is already deadly bored from reading resumes. It is faster to link to DeviantArt than make somebody read a large sentence explaining how much experience i have with drawing.

I need to sell myself in the most short time possible.

( @mr_tawan , if i were a recruiter, i would make you read our code and explain it, instead me reading your code. One takes infinitely less effort than the other.)

If somebody can show a game made by him, i think a github link is not needed at all. Although it is a problem if many developers sign under the game and it is not clear who programmed what, who only brought the coffee....

Some people recommend to put in a programming resume experience of working as a waitress....I disagree. I prefer to have few different resumes for different jobs.

Anyways, it is pretty impossible for me to get a job, because i am weird. On my last interview, the manager told me that they use a given technology, he asked me: "can you use that technology?", me: "no, it is deprecated, that's why i never learned it. I have experience with the newer technology.".....not hired xD .. Anyways, i would not like to work in a company who is stuck in the past decade. I would not like to work in a company who uses Gimp and Blender instead of Photoshop and 3ds Max either.

Let's look at your portfolio real quick: Metal Deer? What is this? I press a button and random objects move? Kevo? I can jump onto platforms with an underlying game engine that already supports physics and assets? These 'games' look like basic framework demos anyone can make in about 9 minutes. If you want to stand out, make something cool that you can talk about what you did. That is nothing impressive. It also says "We" so I don't know who worked on it or what. Your initial website navigation is confusing and not personal to you. Not even sure what that really is.

Simplest way to get a job is to make a decent game demo and put up a video of it. Nobody will want to download and play games.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

13 hours ago, NikiTo said:

( @mr_tawan , if i were a recruiter, i would make you read our code and explain it, instead me reading your code. One takes infinitely less effort than the other.)

Well the candidates have to go through a few stages of filtering first. So it's only a few candidates a year that came to me. I can spend my leisure time to skim through those code. Plus I can book my time against it :).

The point is, I think many of the interviewers do read your code if you put it on your repo, although not all of them. Just leave the link there and they will look through it if they are interested (it doesn't take much space anyway). Also, it can be a plus if you have contributed your code to or join open source project.

http://9tawan.net/en/

@Amperian do you have a personal photo in your linkedin? You need that. Try to look nerdish, but hot at the same time, in case a secretary from the opposite gender is reading your resume.( I can spend a whole day taking hundreds of photos of myself for my resumes )

I think lazy recruiters could skip your application the same way people skip profiles without photo on dating sites.

[OFF TOPIC] This 'filtering' debate reminded me a joke, I hope it's understandable after translating it:

An HR person comes to work in the morning and there's a huge pile of CVs on his desk. He pushes a good half of the CVs off the pile right into the trash bin and says to himself, satisfied: 'Those who don't have luck are no good anyway". [/OFF TOPIC]

5 minutes ago, pcmaster said:

An HR person comes to work in the morning and there's a huge pile of CVs on his desk. He pushes a good half of the CVs off the pile right into the trash bin and says to himself, satisfied: 'Those who don't have luck are no good anyway".

[OFF TOPIC] When you visit a software company and see somebody with two huge monitors on front of him and you think like: "this person should do a lot of work if they gave him two huge monitors", then you see in the reflection behind him, that he has on one of the monitors Facebook at full screen, on the other monitor he has Skype at full screen..........really happened.
[/OFF TOPIC]

I was told too, that a good amount of the job offers are fake. There is a real company behind, but they publish those offers because of some tax/subsidies stuff. If they do need to hire somebody for real, they don't open the applications, but ask the employees if they know somebody. Various people told me companies(where they work) do that. Some of those job positions published online are just black hole mail boxes.

Real life sux. In real life if you send a resume with DX12 examples to a company that makes tetris like games, they will ban you. That's why many job searching sites are allowing for the user to edit multiple resumes and chose what resume to send whom. One should not apply for a waitress job showing off his engineer studies. Overqualified is a bad thing too.

2 hours ago, pcmaster said:

[OFF TOPIC]

Let's all try and stay on Amperian's portfolio and resume.  If someone wants to start a fun grousing thread about HR practices, you're welcome to start a thread in the Lounge.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the advice everyone! I updated my resume with the feedback I received here, as well as with a link to my newly made portfolio website JonahBrooks.net. I'll try to commit to github more regularly so it doesn't look abandoned, and I'll try to make a more substantial game demo in the coming months.

Thanks again for all the feedback and advice!

Jonah_Brooks_Resume.pdf

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement