🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Linked List question

Started by
2 comments, last by Jeff D 22 years, 7 months ago
Ok ive been trying to learn linked lists for a little while. when I think I got it I try to make one without looking at a book nor tutorial. So I make this:

#include <iostream.h>

struct node
{

node* next;
	int num;

};

node* head;
node* tail = head;

void NewNode(int number)
{

tail->next = new node;
	tail = tail->next;
	tail->num = number;

}

int main()
{

for(int x; x <= 10; x++)
		NewNode(x);
	return 0;

}

Now it compiles fine but when I run it it makes a runtime error stating that List2(the name of the program) has caused an error. Now I comment out the for() and change the x in NewNode to 5 and still get the error. I amlost sure its my tail pointer, but looking at an example it looks exactly like this. If it could be my OS Im usuing Windows ME Jeff D Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
Advertisement
You''re using tail->next before you allocate tail or head.
DOH!!!!!!!!!!

Thx man. Sometimes when I code in C++ everything seems right, but I always forget something like that.

Jeff D

May someone give me a quick tutorial on Linked-List like the one above? Please...

The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement