🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Will GDC have to be cancelled due to the coronavirus epidemic?

Started by
53 comments, last by Nagle 4 years, 3 months ago

That story just made the Washington Post. Facebook and Oculus are headquartered within commute distance of GDC. Sony also pulled out of PAX East. IBM just pulled out of the RSA conference in San Francisco, which starts in four days.

Advertisement

Well it looks like the coronavirus is getting worse. It's now spread to multiple countries. It's possible now that the conference might be cancelled. If not canceled, many may just pull out, making it effectively cancelled. Many have already pulled out, so we might see even more.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

deltaKshatriya said:
Well it looks like the coronavirus is getting worse. It's now spread to multiple countries.

They should add to Plague Inc. a special level named “Diamond Princess”…

EA just pulled out of GDC.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2020/02/25/electronic-arts-is-now-backing-out-of-the-game-developers-conference-due-to-the-coronavirus

Kowloon Nights and Kojima Productions just cancelled for GDC.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/02/25/gdc-cancellations-coronavirus-kojima-sony-ea/

So it’s effectively canceled at this rate…

At the moment, I'm still going, although I haven't purchased my flight yet.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Any word from Epic? Are they going, or not, or undecided?

Nagle said:

Any word from Epic? Are they going, or not, or undecided?

Not to speak for anyone at Epic, but so far it appears they are going. They've also had recent communications out to press about their GDC plans. Some of their people might be grounded in Korea or other affected countries, though.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I wonder if the worsening situation in Europe will further change plans. Or if everyone who’s going to pull out already has.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement