🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Want to try again. Where should I start?

Started by
2 comments, last by Nintendogeek01 4 years, 3 months ago

A few years ago I had aspirations of getting into game design. I made a few things, posted them online, and then I gave up when it looked like nothing was coming of it. Now I find I haven't been able to let it go and I'd like to try again; problem is that I'm rudderless after this long.

I used to use Construct 2, Unreal Engine 4, & Adobe Photoshop primarily (still use Photoshop for other things) but naturally I'm out of practice now. I also used to know how to use Autodesk Maya but no way could I afford it at home so I'm even more out of practice for it.

What I mean to ask is, how should I start again? What should I do to start again?

Advertisement

I'd say you should start with whatever you feel like. I'm wondering if you had issues before due to trying to go too big. If that is the case, then I'd recommend you start small, and stay small. Unity can be a good place to go for many people, and is free under many circumstances, likely including yours. You could also try Gamemaker Studio 2, but the free version of that one is more limiting than the free Unity. But it is very easy to get things done in, primarily if you are working in 2d.

Uncertainty of what I feel like is part of the problem. Now it's been a few years and on a subject I am emotionally invested in so I can't objectively say how big or not I was trying to go; that said, your advice to focus on small projects makes sense and I'll happily take that under advisement.

While I'm not opposed to learning Unity (I am well aware of its popularity after all), I don't see why I couldn't just try to pick up the programs I used to use and re-acquire my skill there; especially given I have a full time job I'm saddled with. I don't know if I'd have the time and/or patience to try a program I'd never touched before.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement