🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to baby step into my dream game?

Started by
3 comments, last by Craig1020 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey Guys, so I'm very new to game development. I just messed around with a few tutorials and made some very small scale games via those tutorials. I haven't done any original work as of yet. I am using the unity engine.

My question is… what is an efficient way to baby step into my dream game. I have seen posts and others recommend making small scope games and I agree with that. My dream game is to make an RPG, similar to an FF6 or FF7. 2D back drop and either sprites or simple 3D models on the 2D background. What is a small version of that? Like a small dungeon crawler? Just so I can get an idea of what to make to help me gain the necessary skills to build up to that dream game skill status.

Also, if anyone knows of any programs to help create sprites or simple character models that would be amazing. Also sound as well, i think it would be cool if i could make my own soundtrack….become my own Nobuo Uematsu lol.

Sorry for this long post and all the questions, just excited and fired up. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

Advertisement

I have an offer for you. I'll send you a message.

PapaCuerpo said:
My dream game is to make an RPG, similar to an FF6 or FF7. 2D back drop and either sprites or simple 3D models on the 2D background. What is a small version of that?

Pretty much all retro games have a back-ground and some moving sprites on top of it, eg Space invaders, Galaga, Breakout, and even Pacman.

If I had to give you advice it would be to plan it fully. Make a working game system on Pen and Paper, flesh your idea out, put attention and detail, bring your vision to life. Then take the steps on planning how you want to show it to the world, if it's your dream game it'll be a labour of love, and a very time consuming one. Don't take half measures, work hard and develop your skills and you'll end up fine.

I know the answer you might have wanted to hear was to “Find X assets here" or “use this engine" but the first steps of any big idea are to ground some of them, at least in the beginning. Otherwise it gets away from you, create goals, set deadlines and keep working. If you ever need more when the time comes let me know.

-Craig

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement