🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Video game cartography

Started by
6 comments, last by MDobleZ 4 years, 1 month ago

Can anyone point me to some resource on how to create a game map. I don't mean the design, I mean the functioning, e.g. how to prevent players from going through walls. I'm quite new to this, in case you haven't noticed.

Advertisement

I think what you want is more on the level design side of things, not cartography. Saying cartography make it looks like you need help with terrain creation (ground, hills, rivers, lakes, etc).

Do you have any experience with game development? Are you using a game engine? If yes, which one? Because what you want (prevent the player going through objects) is covered in the basics of many game engine tutorials. For example, in Unity, you can add colliders to objects and the player, so the objects will not go through each other. See the video bellow for an example.

Thanks for your quick reply. I think the best way to put it is “Are the movements of the players constrained by ‘if … else’ statements or there is some sort of map or wall object?”

MDobleZ said:

Thanks for your quick reply. I think the best way to put it is “Are the movements of the players constrained by ‘if … else’ statements or there is some sort of map or wall object?”

You need to research collision systems.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Thank you very much, Ruti. I will.

MDobleZ said:

Thank you very much, Ruti. I will.

Also you should make it known what you're using to make your game. If you're using Unity, Unreal, SFML. SDL, ect… This is because collision is usually handled for you in game engines and the set up is just required. In SFML/SDL for example you have to program your own collision system.

Programmer and 3D Artist

@Rutin Ok, thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement