🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which computer to buy, exactly?

Started by
14 comments, last by LeftShoe 3 years, 10 months ago

Josheir said:
I want to buy a computer for developing C++, Java, PHP, JavaScript, jQuery, SFML, and 3D (So far OpenGL and LWJGL), etc. I have a budget of one thousand dollars for a tower, and although I don't need to spend this much, I would love a nice experience.

All of these can be done on any machine from the last decade, many can run just fine on machines that are even older.

In the business world it makes a lot of sense to get high quality products; when you're paying developers many thousand dollars per month you don't nickle-and-dime their equipment. Whatever you “save” in what equates to a few days wages on cheaper computer parts is more than offset in exchange for a drop their performance by 5% for 2-3 years until the next hardware upgrade cycle, those businesses are costing themselves a fortune in reduced productivity.

For personal use whatever you've got is generally good enough. You as an individual likely won't be putting out cutting-edge products that require the absolute latest and greatest cutting edge equipment. You as an individual won't be looking at multi-hour resource cook times. You as an individual won't be looking at hour-long compilation times, or hundred-gigabyte builds, or other things that slow down professional programming.

If the machine is capable of playing high end games, it's more than enough for personal programming projects. Whatever class of computer you're planning on getting, look at the caliber of games that can be played. That's exactly the quality of graphics, game performance, etc., which the hardware can handle.

Advertisement

Josheir said:

Shaarigan said:

If you don't care about getting replaceable pieces of Hardware

What do you mean?

I read that the OS is downloaded off the internet, will this last?

It seems to be European, is everything in English?

Josh

@Josheir Best for pc's so far is windows 10 for indie development ubuntu im have no experience with mac'os about graphic cards its dont matter because today cards are better and low cost check even used card will be good but in used cards you need to change thermal grease on it your card must have at least open gl 3 support for 3d rendering in blender im dont know what with autodesk if you need real help to assemble it and what are recomendations check toms hardware forums latest ubuntu version is 20.04 for games for simplicity write them in english it will be easier.

@Josheir Video card and Processor

None

Gamedev, considering the broad requirements that you have, is really demanding in terms of hardware, even as a solo dev.

I don't agree that you won't see very long compilation / cook / build times, it depends on what you do but it definitely is possible. For instance, if you do your game in UE4 and need to build dedicated servers, a 1h long build time every engine upgrade is not out of the question at all. Similarly you'd do an hour-long cook time for the first packaging after said engine build.

With that in mind, asking your question OP, is like asking which of the five senses should a human get exactly. Ideally, all of them. And if you make concessions, you are going to be dissapointed at some point. In order of importance I'd say : Disk space > RAM > CPU > GPU

The reasoning is as follows :

1- Gamedev takes a ton of disk space. You want to do 3D so there's no going around that.

2- Gamedev takes a ton of ram. If you have to use the disk to compensate for the missing ram, the performance will plummet and make your game unplayable, therefore your game testing will be worthless

3- Obviously compilation require a lot of CPU. It's worth noting that there is CPU work being done even in engines like Unity so this is not a C++ related problem. It lists third because ultimately you CAN go around the problem by doing something else while you're wasting time due to a poor CPU. Whereas you can't just take a coffee break (or a nap, or go to bed entirely…) if you run out of disk space, or if your engine is permanently crippled because you ran out of ram.

4- Finally the GPU, because even though you need even more performances than for a shipped game of the same level of detail, you can use scalability settings to test and develop your game in lower-than-maximum quality. And you can tweak the visuals of high-quality assets in an empty scene or something that will save performance. So even though it is the most visually impacting of the four, the GPU is also the one with the most workarounds.

But again, with “only” a thousand dollars I think that you're going to be dissapointed. Although it may not show until your game is a bit more advanced.

My two (four!) cents as a solo UE4 dev ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement