🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What's the simplest and fastest way to build an online multiplayer text-based game?

Started by
0 comments, last by notadeveloper 3 years, 9 months ago

Hello gamedev.net,

I’m working on a multiplayer online game and I need to know which tools to use and how to use them to accomplish certain tasks. The project is about creating sustainable multi-party agreements between organizations of various capacities. I’m not a web developer or game designer. I have only minimal experience with Python, and recently, I’ve started trying to learn JavaScript.

In the game, 20 players play 20 rounds. Each round has two parts: the action phase, in which players perform a number of actions, and the survey phase, in which players may choose to answer various questions about other players. Players should create a number of inputs, the dashboard must be updated automatically, and outputs must then be visible to all other players.

The game must incorporate these features:

- A public scoreboard/dashboard which reflects changes players make to existing agreements and the numeric values of those agreements in real time

• Players may propose new agreements, withdraw from or oppose existing agreements
  • The values of agreements are calculated by a simple formula
  • Players take their actions simultaneously
  • The results of players’ actions are visible on the dashboard at the end of each Action Phase

- Selective access to information

• Some players will have access to more information than other players
  • Players should be able to give and receive information from select players
  • Some information will be hidden from all players

- Automated calculations (literally nothing more complicated than an exponent)

• These calculations must also update in real time to reflect changes players make

The flow of the game:

- Players expend limited resources to take a desired number of actions in the Action Phase

• The results of these actions are visible to all players at the end of the Action Phase

- Players may choose to expend limited resources to participate in one or more surveys

• The results of these surveys are visible to all participating players at the end of the Survey Phase

- This process is repeated for 20 rounds, but without a Survey Phase in the final round

- After the first 20 rounds, there is a 21st round without a Survey Phase

The game essentially must duct tape together a calculator, some surveys, and a scoreboard. What is the simplest and fastest way to go about creating an interactive multiplayer game in the shortest amount of time possible? At this point, the number one priorities are accessibility and functionality. Players should be able to easily access and play this game on their browsers and the game should work well. Please advise on the easiest and fastest possible ways to meet these requirements. Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement