🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which engine?

Started by
1 comment, last by Shaarigan 3 years, 9 months ago

Hello, Beginner here. I want to make a 2D platformer, metroidvania style, with some weapon and skill selection.

I'm good at art but have no experience coding (ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE CODING)

Which engine would be good for that?

For what I have investigated, Game Maker Studio 2 is a good option, also Stencyl and Gamesalad look good for me.

What do you think?

Advertisement

I first started programming in Game Maker. Soon I was pretty good at it. After few years I knew all about it and it been too small for me (not many options). So I started learning C#, code is little bit similar so it wasn't problem. I rewrote my game in MonoGame. I am satisfied now. There are more options in MonoGame, you can do basically everything in it, but the price of more time spent writing code. See my page: https://rabcr.ga/

Summary, Game Maker is for a beginner, it's a great choice. MonoGame is free and well for someone who can programming.

Well it's possible to create in Game Maker some metroidvania style platformer, I think it's good choice.

None

In case of you are more familiar with graphics, maybe you could also look for visual scripting, which is like constructing a graph of interconnected actions. Unreal has Blueprint, a well tested environment for this but also Godot has a system for it. Try it out!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement