🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Computer choice

Started by
13 comments, last by ddlox 3 years, 6 months ago

Tom Sloper said:

ddlox said:
SSD (don't pick an HDD)

Agreed. My bad.

In my experience there are pros and cons with that. I've actually had more than one SSD fail. They have some limit with the number of writes. Of course HDDs can fail too, but I've had HDDs outlast SSDs that I bought at the same time, and also you get a lot more space for your money with HDDs. On the other hand SDDs are faster. For a desktop I generally like to have both an SSD for stuff that needs to be fast and a larger HDD for the rest of the data……. and of course always back everything up that's important.

Advertisement

Gnollrunner said:
I've actually had more than one SSD fail.

(respectfully asking) Internal or external SSDs… ? and which models ?

I've not had any of my internal SSD failed: 2 internal and 1 external (samsung and kingston) but my 2 HDDs have failed me both external;

except for 1 SSD, both HDD and 2 SSD i've had for about the same length of time, the SSDs are still going…

i'm not saying that SSD will not fail, but so far my experience is that the hdds have died before them

and yes get yourself some backup (cloud storage or your own local cloud: a simple but effective (NAS-based WD Mirror 4TB) or better, it works with HDD mirrors not sure if they now do SSD equivalents in this size)

Tom Sloper said:
My bad.

we dig it ?

@ddlox

ddlox said:

Gnollrunner said:
I've actually had more than one SSD fail.

(respectfully asking) Internal or external SSDs… ? and which models ?

You know I don't remember the exact brand. I do remember it was a popular maker. I bought 4 SSDs. Two were 128g intel drives and the other two that failed where a different brand. This was for a RAID 1 setup. They were all internal drives. The intel drives still work and they are pretty old at this point. I might still have the other ones at our dacha somewhere, but since it's winter I probably won't be going there for a while. If you are super curious I can post it later if I find them but as I said it will likely be a while.

The other thing is when I went to buy new drives here in Russia, the guy at the computer store claimed that SSDs tend to wear out faster. I did a bit of reading on the internet and similar claims are out there. I'm not going to say with 100% certainty it's true, but it's probably something to consider. A lot of it may be based on how often you write to your drives.

Gnollrunner said:
If you are super curious I can post it later if I find them but as I said it will likely be a while.

no, don't bother, it's ok;

thanks for the info though, your experience is worth considering;

thanks ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement