🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2D Maze In Unity: Prefabs or Tilemaps?

Started by
2 comments, last by Thomas-Boi 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm making a game that features a 2D maze. Each maze will be done by hand so no random generation. I also want to make enemy AI but I'm mainly making the game a PvP.

I'm wondering which method is best: making the maze using prefabs or using a tilemap. There will be colliders for the cell walls but no other scripts. I understand that tilemaps also provide supports for path finding but I don't mind writing one from scratch if I use the prefabs method.

What do you guys think?

Advertisement
  • Since your game is going to contain many mazes, it should be worthwhile to prototype both techniques to judge how easily and efficiently you can edit levels, what quality standards can you meet (e.g. too few different prefabs or too small tiles could look repetitive) and at what cost, and whether there are more technical consequences and constraints.
  • Since you plan to author levels by hand, modular structures are likely to become a limitation: your technology choice should "scale" from orderly and regular easy to assemble layouts to arbitrary layouts with large and complex degenerate prefabs or tiles that aren't repeated and reused.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

@LorenzoGatti thank you for the advice. I actually tried both and I'll use tilemaps for now. Having grids make it easier and quicker to prototype mazes. I also don't have to worry about gaps between prefabs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement