🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Drawing a rectangle in SDL

Started by
2 comments, last by stderr 2 years, 8 months ago

Hi all.

I've just started to play around with SDL2 and have run into some problems(?) right away. I'm trying to draw a rectangle but it doesn't work as expected. The right side gets shorter than the left one, and there is a gap in the lower right corner. Is this not a good way to draw a rectangle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/* gcc -o sdl-test sdl-test.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs sdl2` */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#include <SDL.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {

SDL_Window *win;
	SDL_Renderer *rdr;
	SDL_Rect rect[] = {
		{ 100, 100, 50, 50 },
		{ 101, 101, 48, 48 },
		{ 102, 102, 46, 46 },
		{ 103, 103, 44, 44 },
	};

SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO);
	win = SDL_CreateWindow("Rect", SDL_WINDOWPOS_UNDEFINED, SDL_WINDOWPOS_UNDEFINED, 640, 480, 0);
	rdr = SDL_CreateRenderer(win, -1, SDL_RENDERER_ACCELERATED);
	SDL_SetRenderDrawColor(rdr, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, SDL_ALPHA_OPAQUE);
	SDL_RenderDrawRects(rdr, rect, 4);
	SDL_RenderPresent(rdr);
	SDL_Delay(10000);

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
Advertisement

My first bit of advice would be to not bother with the SDL renderer at all. It's buggy (as you noticed), but it's also just plain not powerful enough for a modern 2D game. Or even a retro 2D games with a few semi-modern touches.

That said, no, this is not a good way of rendering rectangles. Especially if you want rectangles with thick lines, prefer SDL_RenderFillRects over SDL_RenderDrawRects. If you want an unfilled rectangle, just draw each of the four sides of your unfilled rectangle as a filled rectangle. This should allow you to sidestep the bugs in the SDL renderer (which are mostly related to line primitives), and it probably has better performance as well.

@a light breeze Thanks man.

Meanwhile I've also tried DrawLines with horrible results too. Really off-putting and I will never, never, never ever use SDL again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement