🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

SDL green flickering mess on nvidia Geforce GTX

Started by
29 comments, last by Geri 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, I went through a company called Shapeways. My account is at: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sjhalayka

Advertisement

taby said:
Actually, the magnitude of the Z quaternion, post-iteration, stands in as the density, and the isosurface is where the magnitude equals the threshold value. Alan Norton told me about that a decade or two ago. There is no sub-sampling involved, like I had initially thought too. The refinement is still needed when one uses the magnitude as the density. True, it does not look as bad as that generated by a boolean field alone, like on the left, but it still needs refinement to look great.

That's a nice property of your fractals. I'd like to have distance for the Mandelbox fractal. Because of its box shape, it would be artist friendly to cut out box sections to use them for modeling modular scenes. Nobody ever tried something like that, although it's quite an obvious idea.

Regarding your refinement still needed, i guess that's because of the world space grid aligned iso surface meshing. I use curvature aligned remeshing to fix this. It takes iso mesh as input, and output is a mesh with good edgeflow at half resolution.
I never have pictures around, but something like this:

or this:

You see the edges follow the curvature of the model, no linger some shape unaware grid.

However, that's quite some work. An alternative would be to generate poisson disk samples on the surface of the mesh, and then make a voronoi triangulation from that.
There's a good lib to make poisson samples: http://www.cemyuksel.com/cyCodeBase/soln/poisson_disk_sampling.html

I also know about isobands now, so I can try to implement those in the app. It would be a great way to produce hollow shapes, instead of the hack that I use now. LOL

Found a picture from Houdini:

You would get something like the two left images, while the right is more like my stuff.

That's very interesting! Do you have any experience with dual contouring? I have found some implementations, but none were intuitive. I mean, one code used the f***ing auto keyword like for every variable. It's where I started loathing auto lol

taby said:
I use SDL

stop using jokes

I used SDL because it lets me process the app quit. With GLUT, you have no such control.

you realize its about 30 lines of code to set up native code for opengl, 10-20 lines for keyboard and mouse input, and about 10 lines to set up mmsystem32

It's no worse than using native Windows code, plus it works on Linux.

taby said:
It's no worse

It literally doesnt works. You just told it produces green lines on your video card. You had to play with magic numbers to make it work again… which will probably last till the next version update.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement