🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Video Game College or Normal College

Started by
38 comments, last by bobbydriggs 14 years, 3 months ago
Quote: Original post by Theonekiller
So what would you recommend? i really feel that i will stick with game industry so being well rounded isent really a big worry for me. And like you said is it better if i get my " Feet wet ", and go right away to game design and development school and getting my degree in less than two years, does it increase my chances of getting employed?. Rather than just going to a normal college and getting a degree there?

Playing around at home on your own time making games is one thing. Wait until you get a couple of weeks of 12 hour days doing uninteresting things for crunch time. You can very quickly loose your desire to make games professionaly. Also being well rounded with things like history and economics transfers over to the game design process. And its certainly not going to put you above all the unemployed people who have regular four year degrees and published games to their credit. Given past experience with people from "game schools" many places will just trash a resume if thats where you went to school. Nearly no place is going to trash a resume with a four year college on it.

Advertisement
I'm going to throw in my reply to another thread with an identical question, as I did go through the same process and have landed on the University end for what I feel is the better.

From: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=566038

I'm going to put my vote in for a University on this one. I spent a good month or two on the fence when it came to Full Sail/Digipen or going to a University (Such as UW Seattle, UM Twin Cities, or Iowa State, all of which have great CS programs). I thought it would be great going to a game specific school, fast track my way into the industry, do what I THINK I want to do. In the end I (with talk on here, my school advisor, and parents) decided to head towards University lane, Iowa State to be specific, why? Because I'll have more security in my choices.

Right now I'm realizing how much work a game or simple mod can truly be, and can see how quickly I could have burned out at Full Sail or Digipen. Along with that, I would have completely missed the opportunity to further myself in math (as most Univ's will require you to head into/past calculus) and even find a minor that interests me and gives me even more options after college if game design/programming doesn't work out (Meteorology).

Overall I think you will be MUCH more pleased with yourself in choosing a University over such a specific school. What if you burn out or even lose a job later on? You're skill set is going to be significantly limited relative to the guy in the same situation who graduated at a University, and even more so if they double majored or minored. Hope this helps mate, but remember that its just an opinion! I've heard people who have loved every minute at Digipen (no one I know when to Full Sail) and wouldn't regret it.

Justin
Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
Theo,
I repeat my recommendation that you View Forum FAQ (above).

I have Tom, im just getting more than one persons opinion :)
I have Tom

Glad to hear it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I have Tom

Glad to hear it.

quick question Tom, What level of Math do you think i should study towards?

For example
i could take Advanced Functions in Gr12
or i can take Gr12 Advanced Functions and then Calculus and Vectors

But then again im not to good at math , but im not bad at Com Sci

Quote: Original post by Theo Nekiller
What level of Math do you think i should study towards?

Don't stop taking higher levels of math until you reach your level of incompetence. In other words, challenge yourself and take math as far as you can.

Quote: Original post by Theo Nekiller
What level of Math do you think i should study towards?

Don't stop taking higher levels of math until you reach your level of incompetence. In other words, challenge yourself and take math as far as you can.

Yea i see what your saying but my level of math is pretty low sadly im not to sure if im just not trying. But at this point im pretty sure i have reached my limit, and its making me very worried about what im going to do with my math knowledge
Yea i see what your saying but my level of math is pretty low sadly im not to sure if im just not trying.

Find out.
Quote: But at this point im pretty sure i have reached my limit,

You can only do that which is possible for you to do.
Quote: and its making me very worried about what im going to do with my math knowledge

Worrying about something you can't control is pretty pointless.

Yea i see what your saying but my level of math is pretty low sadly im not to sure if im just not trying.

Find out.
Quote: But at this point im pretty sure i have reached my limit,

You can only do that which is possible for you to do.
Quote: and its making me very worried about what im going to do with my math knowledge

Worrying about something you can't control is pretty pointless.

Its true i cant really control my math knowledge, but if need to learn something special thats math related in game design/development i might be able to give that extra push and learn. Would you please be able to tell me what those things are?

I go to DigiPen, and I think the only advantage over normal colleges are the graphics courses and the forced game teams.

Here you take two classes on 2D and 3D software rasterization, a class on shaders (Phong lighting, shadows, reflection, refraction, bump mapping, etc.), and a class on graphical optimizations (BSP, octree, kd-tree, occlusion, ray casting, etc.). Those are required. Then there is a more open class on advanced graphical techniques with shaders. There's an character animation class that includes IK and rigid-body physics. The next animation class goes over particle systems, fluid simulations, flocking, and more. Also a class on ray tracing. Of course, there's a pretty large amount of math classes to support all of that.

The forced game teams are nice. It helps everyone get used to working on small teams and experience working on a game with help from the instructors. We also get pretty good access to the artists (at junior/senior level) in the art program at DigiPen. At a normal college, setting up a team and working on a game would most likely have to be arranged outside of class. It also helps when the other instructors know when a milestone is coming up for game class, and they can ease their homework load for a week.

Other than that, you could probably get a good enough experience elsewhere, but I do think DigiPen's graphics courses are pretty good. If that's what you're interested in, this may be a good route.

But there are a lot of classes that suck. Except for AI with the magnificently-bearded Steve Rabin.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement