🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Video Game College or Normal College

Started by
38 comments, last by bobbydriggs 14 years, 3 months ago
Quote: Original post by Theo Neckkiller
Its true i cant really control my math knowledge, but if need to learn something special thats math related in game design/development i might be able to give that extra push and learn.

I never said otherwise.
Quote: Would you please be able to tell me what those things are?

No. Give that extra push to everything.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
Theo, when it comes to math, just don't stop. Start with trig and analytic geometry, then move on to calculus (a MUST), and after that, don't just assume you're "set", pursue statistics/probability, differential equations, linear algebra, etc.

Personally I'm not a huge fan, and I actually struggle quite a bit with it and always have, but even though I'm not that whiz kid acing the tests, I'm already finding myself passing the general collection of my peers, and I know that will come in handy. With Computer Science courses, a lot of examples are based off calculus or statistics (at least here at Iowa State) and they have all said that we better get comfortably with our math.

It bites, it really does, but don't think of it in terms of learning X, Y, and Z bits of math and bingo, you know everything you need to know. The more you learn the better. Unfortunately there isn't a cookie cutter answer to this question mate, so there's only so much anyone can suggest besides keep advancing as far as you can. Hope this helps!

Justin
I thank evreyone for there opinion and i understand what evreyone is trying to say. To go as far as you can, but the furthest i have gone isent even really useful. I havent even got to Calculus and im struggling alot in math. So i cant really even see myself even futher like statistics/probability, differential equations, linear algebra.
If you are going to follow a computer science (programming) path, I would definitely recommend going to a regular college/university. Noticing you're from Richmond Hill, University of Waterloo and University of Toronto both have computer science programs and their fairly close to where you live. Most of the programmers at my studio are Waterloo graduates.

While it is possible to get into the industry with a college degree (I went to Seneca College in Toronto), I've seen more University grads in the industry. I believe passion and creating a good portfolio will speak for itself though, so if your committed don't let anyone stop you. Interesting note, I think there's one other programmer besides myself of the 16-20 we have that went to college.

Good Luck with everything.
Quote: Original post by Theonekiller
I thank evreyone for there opinion and i understand what evreyone is trying to say. To go as far as you can, but the furthest i have gone isent even really useful. I havent even got to Calculus and im struggling alot in math. So i cant really even see myself even futher...

You didn't hear a word any of us have said to you. It's pointless to tell you anything, because you just argue against it and say none of the answers apply to you.
Although I'm wasting the effort, I repeat:
You can only do that which is possible for you to do.
Work as hard as you are able, and nobody can fault you if you reach your limits, because your limits are your limits.
Worrying about something you can't control (like your limitations) is pretty pointless.
Play the game of life the best you can with the cards you have been dealt. That's what all of us do, including the best players.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by shwasasin
If you are going to follow a computer science (programming) path, I would definitely recommend going to a regular college/university. Noticing you're from Richmond Hill, University of Waterloo and University of Toronto both have computer science programs and their fairly close to where you live. Most of the programmers at my studio are Waterloo graduates.

While it is possible to get into the industry with a college degree (I went to Seneca College in Toronto), I've seen more University grads in the industry. I believe passion and creating a good portfolio will speak for itself though, so if your committed don't let anyone stop you. Interesting note, I think there's one other programmer besides myself of the 16-20 we have that went to college.

Good Luck with everything.

oh thats nice to hear, thank you that helped me alot
Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
I have Tom

Glad to hear it.

quick question Tom, What level of Math do you think i should study towards?

For example
i could take Advanced Functions in Gr12
or i can take Gr12 Advanced Functions and then Calculus and Vectors

But then again im not to good at math , but im not bad at Com Sci

Read a proof of M or String theory.

Study math/physics till you understand it.

Repeat with other obscure deep level mathematical proofs. :-p

In reality, I'd say things it is essential for you to at least have a minor working knowledge of the following:
-Linear Algebra
-2 and 3 dimensional geometry (the equations not the names of the shapes)
-higher level calculus
-2 and 3 dimensional physics
-various different maths to optimize things. Graph Theory comes to mind.
-Other fun stuff I'm forgetting right now (I am aware this pretty much invalidates the helpfulness of a finite list of things)
Way2lazy2care thanks very much that actually helped me a lot, but i have one more single question for you

Is this for Specifically a game programmer? or do all designers/Artists/etc...
need to know this math knowledge?
Way2lazy2care thanks very much that actually helped me a lot, but i have one more single question for you

Is this for Specifically a game programmer? or do all designers/Artists/etc...
need to know this math knowledge?

A lot of that stuff only a graphics programmer is going to use. And for the most part artists or designers don't need that kind of high level math. Though depending on what you were designing you could use some of the high concept math.

In the past six months the hardest math I've used was a Fibonacci sequence. ActionScript programming on casual games for the win. Don't think that you have to be a complete math whiz to get a programming job. There are lots of jobs that don't use anything more then simple math. That doesn't mean you shouldn't study and learn as much as you can because it will make you a better programmer. But if you can't integrate a multivariable limit it doesn't preclude you from getting a job making games.

I've never understood why people think that game schools limit your career options. I graduated from Full Sail. The game company that I worked at laid off all of its employees about a month ago. Over the last month I applied to a bunch of positions and received 4 different offers, 3 of which were non-game companies. I think ultimately, employers are going to look at your portfolio and experience more than where you went to school.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement