🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Finding job and other questions

Started by
18 comments, last by SeaBourne 13 years, 9 months ago
I was wondering, what kind of experience are C++ like jobs. I currently have 2-2½ years of experience, basic python which I'm working on with django. While I'm not trying to get in to gaming even though I do work on a gaming engine with some other mates. I'm looking in to Open Source jobs that pay to do Open Source work, etc. I never went to uni but I'm looking in to it when I get a job. Right now I'm working on my own open source application and also that open source gaming engine. I mainly just work on the audio/input/design ide. I have experience in xml, json, networking, gui. Just not so much threading as I never had the need/requirement to use it.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by SeaBourne
1. I was wondering, what kind of experience are C++ like jobs.
2. I'm not trying to get in to gaming

1. Your question is unclear.
2. You realize that this forum can really only advise you on game jobs?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Yeah I know, I was just wondering, since maybe someone might know that wasn't. Since nowhere else, people wouldn't give me a serious answer and somehow made a joke about it. I'm sorry about it.
Maybe the problem is the wording of your question. Find someone who speaks good English and try to get your question worded properly. You're welcome to try again to post your question here but (1) if we still can't understand it, if we still can't understand what it is you want to know, then we can't help, and (2) if your question goes beyond the help we can offer on this game site, well: sorry.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Are you looking for contract work? Are you looking to work in an office? Where do you live?

If you're asking about the US I don't think you have enough experience to get a job without a college degree.

-me
I was wondering, what kind of experience are C++ like jobs.

This appears to be the only question in your post, but as tom says it isn't very clear what you mean. It could mean....
What is it like to work in a job writing C++, or
What jobs are there that need C++, or
What is it like to program with C++?
or something else?

If you can try to be clearer we will do our best to answer.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
I'm sorry, sometimes I do not make sense when I speak but it is quite rare. I am just trying to find out what experience in C++ based jobs. What kind of experience would the average job willing to accept. I'm looking more towards in Germany, Switzerland, Finland, etc. I'm located in US. I have no experience in this kind of career (job wise). So I can't really say, what I'd like but more like working for a long long time. There is one job near me, that allows you to work at home (no it's not one of those work at home scams). While they do also subsidiary in Europe as in Finland and Germany. I'm not really too fond of just email a job asking what kind of experience they are looking for. Because, I should really know. But, I don't really know. Hopefully, this is a better explanation.
Umm, no. Not really better.

A job posting is looking for the experience they list in their posting. It's not exactly rocket science...
Quote: Original post by Telastyn

A job posting is looking for the experience they list in their posting. It's not exactly rocket science...

I agree, but what happens if they don't list that but just says send in your résumés and/or cv's?
Quote: Original post by Telastyn

I agree, but what happens if they don't list that but just says send in your résumés and/or cv's?

Then send them in?

I can't say I've ever seen a job posting for a (legitimate, full time) software development position that didn't specify some sort of 'N years of Y' requirement.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement