🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

game programming job market

Started by
19 comments, last by toony 13 years, 7 months ago
Quote: Original post by toony
lmao!! wOw! hmm, that does not apply to me.

Yes, it does. We are taking your career more seriously than you are.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
lmao, bare jokes! i really hate java and c#, and i started programming in c#! i like the way c/c++ was designed.

What is it that you like about the design of it? The general consensus, even among expert C++ programmers, is that the more you know about the "design" of C++, the less you like it -- or, at least, the less "designed" it feels. Even Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++, has said time and again that there is a more-elegant programming language lying within C++ that is dying to get out. There are certainly things to like about C++, but its design and syntax, is probably least among them, unless C++ is all you know and so don't know any better.

I suspect you simply don't know enough of other approaches to programming to realize where the faults of C++ lay.

Quote: But i'm going with the reply from frob, because it seems more realistic, and i should do what i enjoy else changing career for a second time is pointless!

Frob certainly makes a good point about following your passion, but I doubt he meant to follow strictly what interests you and to never strive to reach beyond your area of comfort.

It's also a really poor habit to dismiss advice or the insight of others simply because your gut doesn't agree with it -- particularly if that gut reaction involves honest self-assessment; very few people are able to assess themselves honestly.

You cannot grow intellectually or professionally if you don't challenge yourself and your views every once in awhile. I, myself, came from a very procedural view of programming (QuickBASIC->C->C++) but have gone out of my way to understand how engineering in C++ is fundamentally different than in C, as well as to expand my horizons studying, for example, functional programming languages like Haskell and F# -- learning these different approaches to programming not only gave me different tools, but has also made my C++ better by incorporating useful techniques and patterns from functional programming into my C++ and C# code. Functional languages in particular are important, as all the hip mainstream languages (C++ included) are incuding more and more language features more typically associate with functional programming with each new version.

Quote: learning two different languages like java and c/c++ requires you to remember the syntax of each language where they differentiate. i'd rather learn database programming than handheld device programming with java.

Honestly, the only *real* fault of Java that is more or less irreconcilable is that everything is an object or part of an object. I have a hard time thinking of any other argument against Java's design decisions that don't come down to simple convenience or "It's not how C++ does it".

Quote: I just hate anything that isn't c/c++! and i understand that the more you know the more chance you have at getting employed.

This is really the root of your problem. You've put C++ on this pedestal and made it the god of all programming languages in your eyes. Not only is it not the god of programming languages, it's not even a reasonable contender -- Lisp, even for its complete lack of popularity, could at least be made a case for.

But, if you understand that living in your C++ bubble will greatly reduce your chances of gainful employment, so be it. Just don't expect the rest of us to be happy funding your unemployment checks with our tax dollars.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

lamo!! wOw! hmm, have fun in the unemployment line.

Quote: Original post by jtagge75

lamo!! wOw! hmm, have fun in the unemployment line.

rotflmaool!! World Of Warcraft! IOW: QFT.

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper

Yes, it does. We are taking your career more seriously than you are.

you can help yourselves by reading and digesting what i wrote first. and only then it might apply to me. that's what i ment to really say!

Quote: Original post by Ravyne
lmao, bare jokes! i really hate java and c#, and i started programming in c#! i like the way c/c++ was designed.

What is it that you like about the design of it? The general consensus, even among expert C++ programmers, is that the more you know about the "design" of C++, the less you like it -- or, at least, the less "designed" it feels. Even Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++, has said time and again that there is a more-elegant programming language lying within C++ that is dying to get out. There are certainly things to like about C++, but its design and syntax, is probably least among them, unless C++ is all you know and so don't know any better.

I suspect you simply don't know enough of other approaches to programming to realize where the faults of C++ lay.

i like the design of the syntax for one, and the way everything fits together, like precedence etc. but i also believe i have become addicted to c/c++. i do understand that java and c# syntax are alot like the c/c++ syntax; and i first started programming in c#, and from there moved to c/c++. now i most likely forgot how to use c#. but c/c++ isn't my first language and if i had to give a quick reply on c/c++, i would say it's a useful up to date classic language that grows on you!

and if you look hard enough you can find an error in alot of things before your eyes. i have encountered some minor issues with c/c++ before but the language wasn't the problem, it was the way i was using it.

thanks for the honest reply ravyne, and thanks to everyone else for their time and replies. i do get it that eventually i'll have to learn things just for employments sake (including programming advantage of creating better programs and port them to other languages etc), and that's what i'll do whether i like it or not. in the end, programming to me involves learning something new everyday, and the more i do this the more sophisticated code i come up with and start thinking like a programmer.

[Edited by - toony on November 29, 2010 1:55:26 PM]
Quote: [...] language [...] c/c++

C/C++ is not a programming language. Those are two. And I doubt that you really grasp both.

lmao!! wOw! hmm, that does not apply to me.[...]
you can help yourselves by reading and digesting what i wrote first.

YOUCOULD HELP US BY READING AND DIGEST1NG PROPER, PUNCTUATION. AND PROPER USE - OF, THE SHIFTKEY. AND LEAVING OUT STUFF LIKE LMAO AND ROFL AND WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

Quote: i like the design of the syntax for one, and the way everything fits together, like precedence etc.

Precedence is a very generic concept. Even maths have it.

Quote: i'll have to learn things just for employments sake (including programming advantage of creating better programs and port them to other languages etc)

Don't forget to learn about good use of the shift key.
Quote: Original post by phresnel
Quote: [...] language [...] c/c++

C/C++ is not a programming language. Those are two. And I doubt that you really grasp both.

lmao!! wOw! hmm, that does not apply to me.[...]
you can help yourselves by reading and digesting what i wrote first.

YOUCOULD HELP US BY READING AND DIGEST1NG PROPER, PUNCTUATION. AND PROPER USE - OF, THE SHIFTKEY. AND LEAVING OUT STUFF LIKE LMAO AND ROFL AND WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

Quote: i like the design of the syntax for one, and the way everything fits together, like precedence etc.

Precedence is a very generic concept. Even maths have it.

Quote: i'll have to learn things just for employments sake (including programming advantage of creating better programs and port them to other languages etc)

ok, you tool!
i just hate anything that isn't c/c++! and i understand that the more you know the more chance you have at getting employed.

The second part of that quote is most certainly true, but seriously, you really hate anything that's not C/C++?

I must admit, a few years ago, I was adamant in learning just those languages and I had my suspicions about C#... But damn! C# (I HATE you Microsoft!) is just simply beautiful and now I'm hooked on it!

Don't get me wrong, C/C++ are the top dogs in my opinion when it comes to computer languages, especially when it comes down to bare bones performance, but C# just makes it so darn easy to do... Well... Just about anything! I've done things in C# that would have taken me weeks, if not months in C/C++.

Anyway, back on topic, asides from getting lessons in the intricate writing of the English language, I would simply bump the advice already given that simply pursuing money should not be your primary goal when it comes to ANY job.

There are plenty of rich and miserable people about that stands as a testament to that, so, you may as well do some soul searching to find out what you REALLY want out of Life... Because, in the grand scheme of things, we Humans don't hang around that long.

If you find yourself bored and disillusioned with it all, perhaps learning new skills could spice things up a bit and perhaps give you a fresher outlook on your future.

I was heavily focused on application development myself, but I'm now venturing into web-development, which is far more exciting than I first imagined it to be and, with luck, may open up new doors for me.

Anyway, for what it's worth... Good Luck!
i just hate anything that isn't c/c++!

Well you should just give up now then because no job is just going to require you only know C or C++.

For example, in the last 2 weeks in my job I've been working with both C++, C# and HLSL; for game code, tool code and shaders.

In the last 3 months I've used C++, C#, HLSL, Lua and Python (and 3 months ago I didn't even know Python).

Frankly if you aren't someone who is willing to adapt, learn new languages, and constantly challenge yourself do yourself a favour and get out of the field because you are never going to get any where.

The people who get the jobs and make the money are those who are willing to do that. Those who aren't won't get anywhere.

Quote: Original post by phresnel

ok, you tool!

Hey, let's not have name-calling. In case you haven't noticed, everybody here except you uses proper communication habits. You look unprofessional, lazy, even disrespectful when you do not. It may seem overly picky to you, but we're only trying to prepare you for the professional world. Don't be ungrateful to the point of nasty, okay?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement