🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

game programming job market

Started by
19 comments, last by toony 13 years, 7 months ago
Quote: Original post by phantom
Quote: Original post by toony
i just hate anything that isn't c/c++!

Well you should just give up now then because no job is just going to require you only know C or C++.

For example, in the last 2 weeks in my job I've been working with both C++, C# and HLSL; for game code, tool code and shaders.

In the last 3 months I've used C++, C#, HLSL, Lua and Python (and 3 months ago I didn't even know Python).

Frankly if you aren't someone who is willing to adapt, learn new languages, and constantly challenge yourself do yourself a favour and get out of the field because you are never going to get any where.

The people who get the jobs and make the money are those who are willing to do that. Those who aren't won't get anywhere.

i totally understand, it's 100% true that multi-talent is required, i just feel challenged because programmers are required to know so much and the pay hardly adds up! i'll just have to bend over and take it. i'll have to adept via force in the end, but i wont quit because there's nothing that is worth more to me than problem solving.

Quote: Original post by CodeStorm
Quote: Original post by toony
i just hate anything that isn't c/c++! and i understand that the more you know the more chance you have at getting employed.

The second part of that quote is most certainly true, but seriously, you really hate anything that's not C/C++?

I must admit, a few years ago, I was adamant in learning just those languages and I had my suspicions about C#... But damn! C# (I HATE you Microsoft!) is just simply beautiful and now I'm hooked on it!

Don't get me wrong, C/C++ are the top dogs in my opinion when it comes to computer languages, especially when it comes down to bare bones performance, but C# just makes it so darn easy to do... Well... Just about anything! I've done things in C# that would have taken me weeks, if not months in C/C++.

Anyway, back on topic, asides from getting lessons in the intricate writing of the English language, I would simply bump the advice already given that simply pursuing money should not be your primary goal when it comes to ANY job.

There are plenty of rich and miserable people about that stands as a testament to that, so, you may as well do some soul searching to find out what you REALLY want out of Life... Because, in the grand scheme of things, we Humans don't hang around that long.

If you find yourself bored and disillusioned with it all, perhaps learning new skills could spice things up a bit and perhaps give you a fresher outlook on your future.

I was heavily focused on application development myself, but I'm now venturing into web-development, which is far more exciting than I first imagined it to be and, with luck, may open up new doors for me.

Anyway, for what it's worth... Good Luck!

ok thanks. in a way, yes i do hate any other programming languages that isnt c/c++. and i read everything you wrote and i thank you for not talking about the shift key, hmm and web development sounds nice!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement