🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Future of C++

Started by
65 comments, last by savagerx 22 years, 9 months ago
The problem with all language bigots is that they''re basically just hammer-wielding little children who observe the world purely in terms of nails.

"A society without religion is like a crazed psychopath without a loaded .45"
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Advertisement
I''ve started recently a new strategic game project, and I searched many sources for being sure the language I choose would be the best one. I already gave a shot at C++, but still I feel that Java is the best way to go. But that''s my opinion!

I just tought you all like to see this page, a must read if you ask me!

http://www.rolemaker.dk/articles/WhyJavaCanBeUsedForGames/index.htm

and certainly this one, it''s an awesome Java Engine at work with use of GL4Java. Seems OK to me

http://arkanae.tuxfamily.org/

Don''t forget that C/C++ are common, and in the early days asm-programmers where also resistant to C! Wait a few years, and let Java prove to you, that it''s worth considering it. Anyway, I agree it will be a long time before it will actually compete with C++ in all types of games. But I see light at the end...

garbage collection is a good thing
How about const? How about final.
How about MI? Bah! MI has it''s uses, but it''s not needed. You keep throwing it around like it''s the solution to all your problems. I''d hate to see your code, and I wont even get into Macros. Good reason! NOT

> Control Control Control
laff

To you other kids who are bashing Java:
1) You''ve never used it.
2) You dont like it because you can''t make a super uber l33t fast game in it.
3) You obviously cant think on you''re own. Think freely, dont let others think for you.

Java has a good future, especially in the embedded market.

Ignore me final and const comment. I got carried away.

I heard from my lecturers that ANSI is no longer going to revise the C++ standard in the future! Is that true???
~a newbie learning C++ who''s worried and puzzled...

The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
I think c# will take over java soonner that java to take over c++ lol
COBOL has no future at all, now that a better language exists. It will shortly disappear, and noone will ever use it again.

er, sorry, minor confusion, I meant C++, yeah, I''m sure C++ will disappear now, just like COBOL did.

Ok, seriously, no matter how wonderful Java is, there isn''t a perfect language, and there won''t be many languages disappearing in the next 20 years (well, until HAL shows up and makes programmers obsolete anyway..

As far as choice of language for a particular program (whether a game or a business app), that''s probably going to remain a case of "we''ll use the language we already know" until something else becomes clearly superior.

Anyway, your customers only care if it works, they couldn''t care less what language it was written in (unless your target market is ''other programmers''

quote: Original post by Landsknecht
I drives me nuts to see so many colleges teaching Java as the main language in their Computer Science courses...

In my opinion, Java is truly not much use and it irks the HELL out of me to be forced to learn it for my school programs.

You''re a lucky ....... to be doing java in your Computing lessons. I''m sitting around getting bored in my lessons doing PASCAL. It''s so annoying just sitting there thinking. If only I were programming in C++/Java(i do both)

Besides either way if you know the stuff already then it''s an easy qualification for ya. The other day i went into my weekly theory lesson the teacher said. "Joe you prolly know all this so you can go if u want" "what are we doing?" "Loops" "PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

how can i complain? I ust went off to do some REAL programming

above post was me :0

/me hugs C++
/me hugs java
/me slaps computing teacher for only knowing visual basic
if you like programming, you like maths, you just don't know it yet

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement