🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which computer to buy, exactly?

Started by
14 comments, last by LeftShoe 3 years, 10 months ago

My spare computer that is used for the internet and Spotify broke and was thrown away. I am considering changing my main Acer computer to do this and buying a new desktop for development, I want to buy a computer for developing C++, Java, PHP, JavaScript, jQuery, SFML, and 3D (So far OpenGL and LWJGL), etc.

I have a budget of one thousand dollars for a tower, and although I don't need to spend this much, I would love a nice experience. Dell makes sense to me or maybe something custom (I don't drive now.) I have always used PCs and I don't know how much software, (especially free) there is for Apple.

So, I am asking for recommendations.

Josheir

Advertisement

This is a personal opinion and I don't like Apple products at all, their policies are too exclusive for my taste in case of accepting general standards, especially in game development and more especially in graphics softwareware/ drivers so I'm still targeting Windows for Visual Studio.

It depends on the kind of development you want to do, I'm working mostly on Tools and Engine code but also made the one and another Unity game on my custom build PC, this is why I spend most of my budget for CPU and Graphics Card. Haven't got hands on a Ryzen CPU so far so I'm still running on an Intel i7 Hexa Core CPU for threading performance and an old AMD r9 Graphics Card while also Nvidia 1080 Ti is fitting well for doing game dev but also playing modern games/ using modern engines.

Anything else is pretty standard, 16 GB RAM and I still have an HDD but you should take SSD drives today, it makes startup of Unity/ Visual Studio much faster.

Dell is too expensive for my taste, at least at my country.

If you don't care about getting replaceable pieces of Hardware, I can recommend the UDOO Bolt as a cheap alternative for a regular PC. You have to buy RAM and a case additionally but that's it and you get a relative up to date version of AMD Ryzen CPU and Vega graphics. Not just for watching Videos in 4k but should also be suiteable for coding in game dev

As far as compiler build time goes, what should I be looking for in a computer system?

Thanks,

Josh

One thousand dollars fairly low-end as far as developer computers go. You can easily spend that much on the CPU alone, or the graphics card, or on storage.

Make sure you have enough total storage, even if it means getting hard drives instead of (or in addition to) solid state disks. Keeping my 1TB SSD from running out of disk space is a constant struggle, even with my 36TB hard drive array there to take up the slack.

If you're doing 3D, you'll probably want a discrete graphics card instead of relying on CPU-integrated graphics, but make it a cheap one.

Cheap AMD processors tend to offer better performance than intel processors at a similar price point.

Make sure you get enough RAM. Compile times rely mostly on CPU speed and RAM. If you have enough RAM, the disk speed should have a lot less impact on your compile times because the RAM can be used as a disk cache.

I wouldn't buy a Dell or similar desktop for an own system. They are known for using non-standard components which limits repairability and upgradability which are big advantages for desktops.

The advantage they have is mostly for corporate IT buying lots of systems and with on site fast repair options.

A lot of smaller builders will use parts you can get for a regular desktop, maybe their own case design but generally a standard form factor.

Some components will be good for 5 maybe even 10 years, others not, so going the custom route can also save a lot extra over time.

a light breeze said:

One thousand dollars fairly low-end as far as developer computers go. You can easily spend that much on the CPU alone, or the graphics card, or on storage.

Gosh, I have been using an estimated five hundred dollar Acer and a refurbished HP that cost somewhere between one hundred and three hundred and fifty dollars. The experience wasn't to bad, but I wanted something that builds faster. I thought I'd buy like a one thousand dollar HP and see the difference. As far as graphics go, I just use OpenGL and LWJGL. I don't think I would need a graphics card. Why would I need one? I have never had a problem with not enough storage.

I might be able to spend more if it really is worth while. I think I would like to spend on the RAM and CPU if it really will make a difference. How much faster can I make the build with a better CPU?

Thank you,

Josheir

While I don't have too much experience on what PC you'll need for game development, I do have experience on PCs in general.

Go with an SSD to put your system and the programs you'll be using the most on. I recommend a 512gb one since that'll leave room for programs you want to have an SSD for.

Get a hard drive (or a few) to put the actual games you'll be developing on. hard drives are slow, but really good at storing massive amounts of data for pretty cheap.

16gb of RAM is a good amount. you can get a pack of 2x8 sticks for around 80 bucks.

As for the CPU, id go for a Ryzen. It makes upgrading a lot easier, since you generally won't need to upgrade the motherboard while upgrading the CPU.

I'm not sure what graphics card you'll want. i think the people here with more experience than me can tell you that one.

DarkACB said:
As for the CPU, id go for a Ryzen. It makes upgrading a lot easier, since you generally won't need to upgrade the motherboard while upgrading the CPU.

Probably doesn't matter this generation, 4000 desktop series might be the last on AM4. 11th gen Intel desktop should be compatible with 10th gen. Ryzen is pretty good value though and a clear performance winner in some cases.

Josheir said:
As far as compiler build time goes, what should I be looking for in a computer system?

CPU bandwidth and drive access is most limiting your work in case of compilation. Look for a CPU with good threading performance and SSD is your way to go as well

Shaarigan said:

If you don't care about getting replaceable pieces of Hardware

What do you mean?

I read that the OS is downloaded off the internet, will this last?

It seems to be European, is everything in English?

Josh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement